Announcements and Important Events
Guilford County Athletic Fee Information
- Why a student athletic fee?
Guilford County Schools values the important life and character-building lessons our students learn through school athletics and is proud of the hard work and dedication of our student athletes. Currently, the district spends approximately $609 per student athlete each year. Unfortunately, we can no longer afford to do so and maintain our core academic programs. That’s why we’re asking families of our student athletes to pay $45 per child per year, regardless of the number of sports the student plays.
- The Guilford County Board of Education approved an annual fee of $45 for each athlete regardless of the number of sports played.
- A student enrolled in an early college, middle college, or other school without a sports program will pay the fee at the student’s base sports school.
- No athletic fees will be collected by schools until after tryouts and the coach has placed the student on the team roster.
- Students whose families cannot afford the one-time athletic fee may apply for a waiver. (See the complete Athletic Fee Information Sheet amd the Athletic Fee Waiver Request Form for more information.)
- The fee does not guarantee playing time.
- The fee does not guarantee a team’s schedule will include a certain number of contests.
IMPORTANT NOTE: GCS is still collecting the annual $45 fee for athletics, but the waiver process has changed. Families will need to meet two out of three criteria for the waiver. Only families who meet two or more criteria for a hardship will need to request the letter and provide supporting documents. If after reviewing the revised information you feel you do meet the hardship criteria and plan to submit an athletic fee waiver request, you should request a copy of the free and reduced-price meals approval letter from GCS School Nutrition Services. Most student-athletes will not need the letter.
- Links to Athletic Fee Information and Required Forms
To pay the athletic fee online, click HERE